≡ Menu

Honesty. (And an honest recipe)

It is becoming clear, now, more than ever perhaps, that I have to be honest.

I have to be honest with myself and with others if I wish to feel alive, inspired and happy.

I think it was easier when I was younger and allowing myself to be figuring it out.  Now as I’m faced with responsibilities and a career I find myself feeling numb at times.  I become quiet, frustrated, and eager to please.  When I was younger I didn’t face the same fears.  I didn’t need to be successful.  I didn’t need to have my shit together.  I allowed myself to question everything, including myself, and meditate on every moment.  These days I rush through everything, even meals, and forget to even ask why?

Even here, on this blog, a creative space for me to share my love of food, I am quiet.  I don’t share the fire in my belly, the aches, the pains, the joys of my life.

Creating food is an outlet for me.  In the past, I always expressed myself through writing and I am afraid of losing that.  I want to pair my writing with food, like wine with a meal, and hopefully you’ll learn to love the combination and find that one brings out the other even more.

And sometimes I just want to use this space to write.

As I read through my old journal entries I’m reminded of other loves: dance, wine, travel.  I need to feed my soul with all of the above.  And share it with you.

Now here is a recipe from a quiet Friday night in my kitchen.  It’s honest, good food, but it’s also indulgent because life should be.

Raw almond/sunflower butter cups

Chocolate:

• ¼ cup coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
  • 1 tsp chocolate protein powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • pink sea salt

Filling:

• ½ cup almond butter
  • 1 tsp sunflower seed butter
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • pink sea salt

In a bowl combine ingredients for your filling by mixing with a spoon.  Fill small cups with filling (I made 8 mini cups).  In another bowl melt coconut oil and mix in remaining chocolate ingredients.  Test sweetness.  Top filling with chocolate liquid.  Freeze until solid.

*Taste as you go along for desired sweetness/saltiness

{ 12 comments… add one }

• Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 28, 2012, 4:02 am

It’s your blog, sweetie- use it as you wish! We are happy no matter what. PS the recipe looks amazing. Is that you provocatively eating the goodie in the photo?

• Gillian April 30, 2012, 7:06 am

Hahaha but of course.

• The Delicate Place April 28, 2012, 10:00 am

feed the fire! you absolutely must do what you need to do in your own space! mmmm sweet and salty! i have a headache this morning from an open bar where the tender made some mean vodka drinks for me…paired with salted caramels and then an after party at a favorite pub…my body tells me i might be too old for this but my spirit says otherwise ;) feeding my soul comes in all kinds of different forms but at the end of the day, i’m happy i make the choices that i do :)

• Gillian April 30, 2012, 7:05 am

Sounds like it was all well worth it! I think you make some pretty wise choices – from eats, to fashion, to travel – you are always inspiring :)

• Lisa April 28, 2012, 2:17 pm

I love this post. I also want to combine my writing passions with food recipes and intertwine the two so that they make a great connection together. If that makes sense? Sometimes I’m afraid to write what I’d really like to express. I would love to hear all the things you want to write. I love your blog already! That recipe sounds absolutely divine. I’ve been wanting to create those PB cups!!

• Gillian April 30, 2012, 7:04 am

I love your writing and think you should definitely feel free to express yourself! It is hard at first (I’m re-learning how) but gets easier. x

• Tamara April 28, 2012, 9:53 pm

Bravo! Love the post topic as well as the recior!!
    Xox
    T

• Gillian April 30, 2012, 7:02 am

Thanks Tamara!

• Michelle April 29, 2012, 9:15 pm

Love this, I go back and forth on blog all the time about what I want it to focus on! I try to remind myself that the great bloggers say to write what you’re passionate about… and everything else will follow. Your passion really comes through when you write, so write on! :)

• Gillian April 30, 2012, 7:00 am

Thanks Michelle! I go back and forth as well, just trying to trust my gut on this one andI really miss writing. I love your blog!

• Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) May 14, 2012, 7:08 am

Show through your blog the Gillian I’ve come to know and love! :)

• Heathy May 14, 2012, 4:12 pm

Gillian! You’re so honest. I can relate – it I don’t create (food is my creative outlet too), I feel like I’m starting to wither up. Not a good feeling! Maybe your career can shift toward a focus on food/the things you love. Just putting it out there, lol. I’m big on following one’s heart.
    Love the nut butter cup recipe. Love to make them too. Haven’t tried with sunseed butter though!