1. Pack lightly. It’s not always worth grabbing a cab on your own and you’ll want to be able to lug your bags onto public transportation effortlessly.
2. Be smart. Be subtle. If you’re a woman travelling on your own, go back to the rules of your mama taught you: don’t talk to strangers, or accept anything from them (ahem, no you can’t buy me a drink.) Avoid tourist red flags when walking around your own (large map, big camera, wide eyes) and walk the walk of the locals.
3. Walk all day until you’re feet hurt. The best part of walking on your own is you can stop whenever and wherever you want, take your time, and go anywhere you please. Also, you’ll be exhausted and happy to crash at the end of the day. Going out at night solo isn’t as safe or fun as with a friend.
4. Eat what you want, when you want. This is another huge bonus of travelling solo. No need to try to please someone else or debate over restaurants. I like to take advantage by eating chocolate for lunch and stopping for a glass of wine or a leisurely cappucino when the urge hits.
5. Bring a notebook. You’ll feel a lot more comfortable in a cafe or even a restaurant if you can write or read alone at your table. Also good to be ready when inspiration strikes!
Are you a fan of travelling solo? What are your tips?