If you know me, you know I love to feed people.
This makes it easy to appreciate a charity like Second Harvest.
Second Harvest is the largest food rescue program in Canada. Since 1985, Second Harvest has been picking up donated, excess food, which would otherwise go to waste, and delivering that food to community agencies in Toronto.
Second Harvest is the main provider of fresh food to people in need in Toronto.
- Nearly 8 million pounds of food delivered in the last 12 months.
- All food is donated by local food retailers, manufacturers, restaurants, caterers.
- Children and youth represent almost 40% of their food recipients.
- They supply high-nutrition food for over 200 social service agencies: fresh fruit and vegetables,100% juices, fresh and frozen meat and milk, healthy bagged lunches for children in low income families at day camps, high-protein foods for seniors and sick people with special dietary needs.
- They reduce pollution by diverting our rescued excess food from landfills. Over 3 million pounds of greenhouse gases prevented every year.
- Supported by hundreds of corporations, foundations, and the community at large - no ongoing funding from the government or from United Way, over 14,000 volunteer hours.
- They rescue and deliver enough food to provide over 18,000 meals a day!
If you’re curious to know more, or would like to donate, please watch…